How to spot and get rid of mold from home
Getting mold at home is a pretty common thing. This is especially true in the wet and humid seasons. However, this does not necessarily mean you can just let the molds be. After all, as many of you might not know, a major mold manifestation can literally ruin your home.
The most common type of mold that we generally find in our homes is the mildew. It is essentially a surface mold that grows in damp and warm places, like our washrooms, damp basements and even on fabric left to dry in damp places. Mildews generally start off as white or gray powdery colony – they generally go away if a jiffy if you simply brush them. However, when let to grow or go unnoticed, they turn dark brown to black in color and are pretty difficult to clean. This is generally termed as mold.
How to spot mold in your home?
If you have a musty odor emitting from any damp spaces or your home or from damp packages or fabrics, that place might have a dangerous accumulation of mites. Molds also grow a lot on or beneath carpets. While mildews can just harm the color of the surface or the specific part of the surface, molds have a tendency of disrupting the whole surface of the house. So, even if you spot mildew at a specific place, remove it without much delay.
What are the products that kill molds?
If you spot dark molds inside your home, it is always advisable to take professional help. However, if it is mildew and you want to clean it yourself, here are some products that help home cleaning the same:
a) Hydrogen peroxide – It is one of the safest and mildest ways to terminate the mildew issues. A three to 10% solution of hydrogen peroxide is capable of killing molds and lighten stains. Although it does not have any bleaching effect, hydrogen peroxide does not emit any toxic fumes or residue.
b) Chlorine bleach – Chlorine bleach, which is the regular home bleaching agent or more specifically sodium hypochlorite, works best to remove molds as well as its stains. However, being a pretty strong bleaching agent, chlorine beach needs to be diluted every time before using it.
c) Baking soda and borax – Being high in pH levels, baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and borax make for a great mold inhibiting agent. Both being inexpensive as well as non-toxic they are widely used to clean molds. While baking soda effectively cleans the area, borax is more used for removing the lingering stains.
d) Distilled white vinegar – Being acidic in nature, distilled white vinegar has the capability of destroying the structure of the mold and killing it. Vinegar is also non-toxic, so using it in the household is apter. However, you may need additional cleaners to clear up the area as vinegar is not strong enough to eliminate all the stains.
So, if the activity of molds in your house is limited, use the above measures to remove the same. Otherwise, it is always wise to call up a professional.